Notes of a Knitter with huge dreams

1.22.2003

I've decided to wrap myself around my new finding- knitting. I'm going about this in the only way I know how and that is alone. My grandma taught me to knit by handing me a book with instructions and told me to come to her with any questions. I read in a book that no one ever really learns by themselves and that they are taught by someone. I guess I am a figment of my own imagination.

I thought of a really great idea over the weekend. I was going to record every one of my knitting projects into a journal that would include drawing (or picture as soon as I get a digital camera), a yarn sample and a short comment of what happened. Sometimes I start to think that I am going a little overbored with all of this and I should just take everything slowly, but I love that I can make something and that I can see my results in a couple of weeks is driving me to want more. I bought labels to put inside my projects, 'Anahngna' -a somewhat stuck up name in eskimo.

I also searched for some local knitting guilds and I came up with one close to me in Takoma Park, MD at a cafe but that is going to be really hard for me to do- just walk in and sit down with people so they can see how I hold my yarn and needles wrong- yeah right. Thats a goal I have for myself- go to a knitting circle. I did join TKGA and I plan on taking the test for Beginner Advanced. They are truely knitting natzi, you have to submit 16 samples, answer 14 questions, and do a report. Its like school. It will be good for me- I need to learn more styles of knitting. I started what I guess you could call a knitting circle at work. I work at a before/after school proram inside of a elementary school. I have about 4-5 children who sit next to me and knit (including boys). But knitting with people more of your age group is something that I am looking foward to, not 7-10 year olds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home